Saving energy when it is warm outside and you need to run your air conditioning can seem like a challenge. By utilizing the tips below, you can cut your monthly bills and, in some cases, even reduce your energy costs by as much as 50%!
- Schedule regular air conditioning service. To ensure your AC unit is operating at peak performance, have it serviced on a regular basis. Regular maintenance also helps identify potential problems before they become major repairs.
- Get a programmable thermostat installed. With a programmable thermostat, you can regulate comfort levels for different times throughout the day and reduce energy costs.
- In the evenings when it is cooler than the preset temperature on your thermostat, shut off the AC and open the windows. You can draw in the cool air from outside and trap it indoors by closing the windows in the morning before it heats up.
- Use windows coverings to block out direct sunlight. Window shades, tinting, and drapes can help block out direct sunlight and keep the indoors cooler.
- Turn on ceiling fans to evenly distribute cooled air, and turn up the thermostat setting. Ceiling fans help keep homes comfortable and work with your AC unit so you can turn up the thermostat a few degrees higher without noticing a change in comfort levels.
- Keep bathroom doors shut when showering or bathing, and use exhaust fans. The humidity from warm or hot water can escape into other areas of the home and cause your AC to run more often.
- Avoid using the oven or other appliances that generate heat on hot days. Cooking on your grill or using your microwave helps keep the home cooler. If you do need to use your oven, try to wait until temperatures cool down in the evening and you can open the windows.
For more energy-saving tips or to schedule air conditioning maintenance services, please feel free to call Kaiser AC at (805) 988-1800 now!